Wednesday 5 October 2011

The Italian Courts this week

I am quite taken aback by the headlines splashed across so many of the national newspapers this week, and the detailed account of the successful appeal by the young woman accused of the murder of Meredith Kercher. I have not read these in any depth, being curious only about the part that the Italian courts have played, particularly with regard to the way in which the original verdict was reached. Justice seems to be an elusive commodity.

The details and speculation about the original crime itself I find distasteful. I have had to deal with violence and its consequences too often in my professional career to get any kick of reading accounts such as have been published. But clearly there is money to be made out of writing about such infamy and depravity. We are told that the winner of the appeal is set to become wealthy by selling her story.

So people clearly do want to read this material. And I am left wondering just what sort of people they are who have such tastes in “literature”. To what depths of degradation are we descending, I wonder.

1 comment:

  1. I couldn't agree more, and the Daily Mail's healine (no, I didn'tbuy it. I happened to see it) was just awful (something about the Fox and financial gain, as if that were the whole point).

    ReplyDelete